Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ahoy Sailor! Nautical Fashion is all the rage!


Since it's one of my favourite trends over the last year and seems to be hanging around I thought I'd share my bit about the resurgence of nautical fashion!

As much as stripes can be downright scary to wear there are many nautical options for a lazy summer's day! It’s autumn here in Australia but currently we are having very hot days… it must be a catch up from all our rain the last few months.

Nautical can be pulled off by anyone! When I think nautical I don’t just think stripes I think of France, Vintage, Red, White, Blue! The brilliant thing about this fashion trend is that it's so versatile and you can play it up or down for any occasion. In the image below I have selected a few items which give off a nautical flair and most are handmade and found on Etsy! I just love supporting handmade as well as finding quirky, vintage and different items to promote.
For the daring... why not try bold spaced stripes in a dress? This option is from Pyxus Passion Project. Bold spaced stripes can help ward off the fashion police. Bold spaced stripes show off your curves in a different light compared to close horizontal stripes which make you look instantly wider.

Nautical trends have been around for a long time and the great thing about fashion fads and phases, means that it will never go out of style if you have the right collection. Even seen in a 1950s swimsuit advertisement, nautical shines through.  Speaking of swimsuits and the beach, I also found this lovely beach bag tote in red and white from Bayan Hippo

And if you are convinced that nautical themed fashion hasn't been around all that long, have a look at Marilyn Monroe. She pulled off stripes in casual wear and nautical inspired outfits at the beach!

Thinking of trying nautical but not so traditional? How about a Navy jumpsuit. Inspired by 1960s fashion, you can find one of these unique pieces from Miss Hussy Clothing. I also found these gorgeous vintage suede navy shoes that would compliment all nautical outfits! Have a look at Becky Drolen.

To accessorize in nautical think sailors, ships, swallows and anchors! I found a cute swallow necklace from Oh Deer as well as an anchor hair clip and earring set by myself - Miss Rockabilly.

Lastly… don’t forget how lovely this image is… and it’s thanks to Mandolin Goose and their gorgeous robin’s egg blue frames. Take nautical into your home and lifestyle with these pretty frames!

3 comments: